Saturday, April 4, 2009

Disco fever


Tonight, I danced under the sparkles of a disco ball.

I laughed. I gyrated. I raised my arms in the air like I didn't care. I had fun. I felt alive.

My first dance was to "I Will Survive." How appropriate.

I did the Electric Slide and I came in second place in Disco Musical Chairs (I refused to pile up in a chair with two guys so I conceded and the other woman won!) Oh, it was so much fun!.

How joyous and alive I felt while I danced!

I went to the disco club by myself. There was a scheduled Meetup (see meetup.com) for a 30 and over social club. I knew no one when I entered but when I left I had new friends and new memories.

When we speak of going through a major transition in our lives, we often focus on the growth that comes from grieving, from surviving depression, from expressing our anger, and from feeling the loniliness and pain that envelops us when we allow ourselves to be still. All of this is necessary.

But I also realized this weekend part of my evolution is also about discovering the joyous part of me; learning to be free again; learning to trust my actions; learning to slowly love again and allowing myself to cut loose on a dance floor with strangers.

There is a time to laugh and there is a time to cry. Both are necessary toward achieving wholeness. So go out. Dance, laugh and feel your wonderous spirit come alive under the sparkle of a disco ball.

3 comments:

  1. Helo, your twin here. I'm glad we had a chance to talk on the phone the other day

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still trying to figure out how to identify myself so it is not just "Anonymous"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paul here again. I'm still trying to figure this out. I hope you had a good day.

    ReplyDelete