Friday, May 22, 2009

Silence


Shhhhhhhh. Just be still in silence. Calm your thoughts and your mind chatter. Breath. Just feel. Do not speak.

I learned the importance of silence during this past week when the noises in my mind were nearly deafening.

In all my years I have always thought that to resolve a problem one must talk, one must defend, one must argue their side, and their perceptions.

This past Sunday and yesterday, my dear friend showed me the value of simply saying nothing. He taught me the value of being silent in our feelings and our thoughts.

And is was only when our hearts were calm and when our minds were clear did we then share our thoughts and feelings with eachother. And when the words flowed out - they were spoken with softness and love and truth.

My marriage was often one of angry words spoken between us both. We rarely paused to think of the effects of our words, of our anger, of our threats. We felt. We spoke. And only when someone was hurt did we step back and regret.

Words once said can not be taken back. We can choose to forgive but when words are used to stab at another's heart is not easy to forget. Words with bitterness, judgement, and threats can slice, can tear, can destroy.

Silence -- lovingly powerful.

No comments:

Post a Comment